Home » Our Courses » Postgraduate Degrees » Psychology » Loss, Grief and Trauma Counselling

Loss, Grief and Trauma Counselling

The Graduate Certificate in Loss, Grief and Trauma Counselling is a specialised course for social workers, nurses, teachers, counsellors and other professionals who wish to gain the specific skills and knowledge required to assist people suffering loss, grief or trauma. It offers a great deal of choice, and every attempt is made to meet each candidate’s interests and learning needs.

Quick Facts

Duration: 6 months
Start Date: March, July
Tuition Fee: $18,800
Location: Bedford Park, Australia
CRICOS code: 036367E
Delivery mode: On campus/ Online

What you will study

The program provides you with an understanding of theories related to loss, grief and trauma experiences and the ability to counsel people in a culturally effective manner.

Topics cover areas such as bereavement and loss, interventions in situations of trauma, and professional practice project.

You may also be able to select one elective in interventions with children and young people or loss, grief and trauma counselling – human-animal interactions.


“I had a nice relationship with all my lecturers. They were committed to helping you out with everything, especially if you showed that you cared about your work. Uni organised for me to go to Flinders Partners to work on software for innovation management. I was so pleased when they offered me a full-time position.”

Nadine Saadi // Flinders University student


This course will strengthen the knowledge base and practice skills of those already working in, or seeking to work in, settings providing services to people who have experienced significant loss or trauma. It does not qualify graduates for accreditation by any of the Australian counselling accreditation bodies.

Potential occupations include:

  • community services project officer
  • case manager
  • school counsellor
  • mental health nurse
  • social research officer
  • youth pathways officer.

Potential employers include:

  • governmental departments
  • hospitals
  • health and community centres
  • correctional services, schools
  • welfare agencies.