Bachelor of International Relations and Political Science (Honours)
You can shape the world. Broaden your career options with research skills as well as the skills to drive political, social and policy change.
Develop a grounding in research and analysis, enhance your professional and interpersonal competencies and expand your career options with a four-year combined honours degree in international relations and political science. Take the next step on your path to become an expert in a specialist field of study and enhance your understanding of the key political, international and policy ideas and trends of our time. Lead the next generation of political influencers through research and a comprehensive understanding in politics and contemporary international politics.
|Duration:||4 years full-time|
|Start Date:||March, July|
|Location:||Bedford Park, Australia|
|Pearson overall score:||60|
|Delivery mode:||On campus: Bedford Park|
Why study International Relations and Political Science at Flinders
- Study with SA’s largest group of international relations and political science experts
- Experience unique internship opportunities with the US Congress (Washington) and Consulate (Melbourne)
- Gain access to South Australian Parliamentary internships and other internship opportunities in the public and private sectors.
- Access travel opportunities to Indonesia, China, Japan, USA, and elsewhere
- Study with a focus on the digital revolution and the future of social and political change
- Flinders policy and administration research is ranked above world standard
- Flinders is engaged with The Jeff Bleich Centre for the US Alliance in Digital Technology, Security, and Governance
The degree provides you with practical experience that prepares you for the workforce.
- Build your international professional network with overseas study.
- Gain international perspectives first-hand through international exchange links and internship opportunities.
- Get practical experience through industry placements.
- Meet professionals working on current international ventures.
- Learn a new language by selecting language topics.
- Undertake research training pathways.
- Engage with foreign affairs and defence officials in learning simulations
- Experience South Australian politics first-hand through the South Australian Parliamentary Internship and the South Australian Government Cabinet Office Internship.
“I had a nice relationship with all my lecturers. They were committed to helping you out with everything, especially if you showed that you cared about your work. Uni organised for me to go to Flinders Partners to work on software for innovation management. I was so pleased when they offered me a full-time position.”
Nadine Saadi // Flinders University student
This degree provides you with skills which are in high demand across an array of sectors. Today’s employers are seeking graduates who can anticipate, lead, analyse and influence movements within the international, political and policy arenas.
You will develop specific skills as well as enhanced general skills relevant to a vast range of jobs in government, multinational organisations, aid and foreign affairs agencies, international and local non-government organisations, civil society organisations, international and local charities, consultancy firms and business. This degree will distinguish you from graduates with bachelor degrees and ensure you standout.
Potential occupations include:
- policy analyst
- diplomat, public servant and/or electorate officer
- international aid/development and humanitarian worker
- research officer
- intelligence, security, risk management or political analyst
- cyber security and digital governance specialist
- journalist or digital media content maker/manager