Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences
Gain a foundation in the principles and techniques of modern mathematics and learn how to apply these skills to solve today’s problems. The degree is designed to produce industry-focused graduates who are in demand in a range of careers that use mathematics.
|Duration:||3 years full-time|
|Start Date:||March, July|
|Location:||Tonsley Campus, Australia|
SACE stage two specialist mathematics or mathematical methods or equivalent.
|Pearson overall score:||50|
|Delivery mode:||On campus|
Why study Mathematical Sciences at Flinders University:
- Focus on both pure and applied mathematics and statistics
- Gain a strong foundation in the principles and techniques of modern mathematics
- Choose topics in other disciplines that use applied mathematics, such as medicine, business, physics and the environment
- Designed to exceed the Australian mathematical society’s accreditation standards
- Join the university that produced Australia’s Fields Medal winner, Professor Terence Tao
“I had a nice relationship with all my lecturers. They were committed to helping you out with everything, especially if you showed that you cared about your work. Uni organised for me to go to Flinders Partners to work on software for innovation management. I was so pleased when they offered me a full-time position.”
Nadine Saadi // Flinders University student
Demand for mathematics graduates is particularly strong as mathematics is used widely in a range of industries including science, engineering, technology and business, and in areas as diverse as linguistics and health.
Potential occupations include:
- credit bureau analyst
- data and analytics officer
- consultant – data analytics
- quantitative assistant trader
- consumer research executive
Potential employers include:
- research centres
- schools and universities
- petroleum and nuclear industries
- the pharmaceutical industry
- market research companies
- banks and accountancy firms
The Australian Mathematical Society does not formally accredit university degrees but does publish accreditation standards. Flinders University’s mathematical sciences degrees have been designed to exceed these standards.